I originally put this together for my students.
On Solitary Confinement:
- Solitary in Iran Nearly Broke Me. Then I Went Inside America’s Prisons. by Shane Bauer
- Subjects Without a World: A Husserlian Analysis of Solitary Confinement, by Lisa Guenther
- The Inhumane Conditions of Bradley Manning’s Detention, by Glenn Greenwald
On the Cost of Prisons and Prison Labor:
- The Bottom One Percent, by David Henderson
- The Price of Prisons, by the Vera Institute for Justice
- Too Many Laws, Too Many Prisoners, by Mark Kleiman
- Five Myths about Prison Growth, Dispelled, by John Pfaff
Race and Prisons:
- From Slavery to Mass Incarceration, by Loic Wacquant
- The Challenge of Prison Abolition, Angela Davis and Dylan Rodriguez
- Slavery by Another Name
Stop and Frisk:
- NYPD’s Stop and Frisk Practice: Unfair and Unjust
- Stop and Frisk: The Human Impact
- Broken Windows, by James Q. Wilson and George Kelling
Parole and Probation:
- I currently lack good articles on parole and probation. Any suggestions?
Agamben and related matters:
- What is a Camp? by Giorgio Agamben
- Homo Sacre
- Life and Law, by Jonathan Short
- Nothing Exceptional: Against Agamben, by Steve Colatrella
2 responses to “Some Crime & Punishment Links”
Alexander has a chapter largely about the challenges faced by parolees and on re-entry. I could slice the pages out of my electronic copy (or mine it for her references).
We’re talking about The New Jim Crow last week and this week, actually. Really great conversations so far, though they’ve jettisoned Foucault’s language and method completely. But this list is just internet-based resources.